The Château de la Napoule is an ancient medieval fortress restored by a couple of American artists, Henry and Marie Clews, during the Roaring Twenties. The gardens classified as "remarkable" host works of artwork by artists.
A bit of history: Built just by the sea in 1387 by the Counts of Villeneuve, the old military fort of La Napoule bears witness to a turbulent history: invasions, looting, wars and other revolutions.
Halfruin, half bourgeois villa, it was bought in 1917 by Henry Clews, an American billionaire, painter and sculptor. Together with his wife Marie, they rebuilt the building from authentic remains, including the two towers and transformed it with its gardens into a dream and imaginary place. The maxim engraved on the pediment of the portal "once upon a time", announces the entrance into a fantastic world, where the art, humour and fantasy of its creators are written on the walls forever.
Although Henry devoted himself to the castle's architecture and his artistic works, which can be seen in the castle museum, his wife was the architect of the gardens of the castle, which she designed with a talent that is still recognized today.
Advantages for families
Free for children under 7 years old
Free treasure hunt in the castle gardens
Means of payment
- Exhibition space
- Room hire
- Themed tour
- Educational visits
- Guided tours